Catholic Men’s Pornography Addiction Group
• 12 + 2 Step Format
• Catholic Spirituality
Are you a Catholic Man struggling with pornography addiction? Don’t struggle alone. Other Catholic Men carry the same cross. If we support one another, along with God’s grace, we can lighten the load.
For more information:
Call Confidentiality: 215-490-4660
Archdiocese of Philadelphia • Office for Life and Family
“You are my friends if you do what I command you”
Weekly Meeting Format
7:00 – 7:05 Facilitator opens meeting, welcomes new men present and reviews structure of meeting/encourages sign in & contact #
7:05 – 7:25 Rosary to Our Lady of Perpetual Help/Majestic Queen of Heaven Prayer
7:25 – 7:30 Saint John Neumann purity prayer
7:30 – 7:35 Review/introduction of Emergency Toolkit
7:35 – 7:40 Facilitator reviews confidentiality rules by reading them and takes questions.
7:40 – 8:00 12 + 2 Step Review
8:00 – 8:20 Sharing by members. This is prompted by the Holy Spirit only with no obligation to share. Cross-talk is permitted after each sharing and is managed by facilitator
8:20 – 8:25 Wrap up and announcements/news by facilitator
8:25 – 8:30 Closing prayer – Saint Michael the Archangel
Post Meeting Informal non-mandatory social, light refreshments/snacks if desired,
12 + 2 Step Program
- I will make a firm act of the will to succeed in my resolution to defeat my pornography addiction. I will make this resolution before God; I will repeat this act of the will periodically or whenever I feel my resolve is weakening.
- I will admit that I have a problem with pornography that controls me. I am helpless against it and I am its slave.
- I will admit that only with God’s grace can I succeed. I have failed with even the best of my efforts. His power and grace are infinite; I am infinitesimal. I will grow in my capacity to accept his grace so that I can overcome my addiction.
- I will know myself; both to determine what sins I’ve committed and also so that I know what my triggers happen to be. I will examine my conscience and my life so that I really begin to know my sins and myself.
- I will sincerely confess my sins to a priest, being genuinely contrite.
- I will do penance that the priest gives me during confession and I will began to make restitution to God and man for my sins; both in a particular case and in a general case.
- I will begin to attend Mass more regularly and devoutly. I will always try to go to communion if I am able.
- I will seek a priest confessor/spiritual director who can give me spiritual guidance on a regular basis. Through his guidance , I will receive the Eucharist as often as I am able.
- I will receive the Sacrament of Penance weekly or biweekly depending upon my spiritual needs
- I will identify what near occasions of sin affect me most and will work to distance myself from those persons, places and things that most easily lead me into sin, concentrating on my pornography addictions.
- I will strengthen my will by mortification and penance. I will work to gain mastery over myself by practicing virtue. I will begin with simple, easy-to- win battles over myself and then progressing to more difficult one’s.
- I will strengthen my intellect by educating myself on the truths of the Faith. I will regularly read the Bible, the works of the Saints, Encyclicals of the Popes, and good Catholic reading so that my intellect and my conscience will be properly formed.
- I will strengthen my sanctity by regular and fervent prayer especially the Rosary. I will develop a great love for Our Lady of Perpetual Help and Saint John Neumann. I will develop my own list of personal patron saints and will pray to them regularly.
- I will perform the works of mercy especially for these with pornography addiction. I will perform these works to give glory to God, the salvation of my own soul, and for the good of my neighbor.
- No last names, except between mentor and member.
- “What is said in the group stays in the group” – but review Mandated Reporter requirements.
- Contact list is voluntary.
- Sharing is not required – follow the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
- Agree how to interact if run into each other outside of group.
- Don’t be too graphic in sharing as may act as trigger or be familiar to someone else.
Click here to visit the Pink Sisters perpetual adoration chapel in Philadelphia, featuring a live video of the Blessed Sacrament in the Monstrance.
Majestic Queen of Heaven Prayer
Majestic Queen of Heaven and Mistress of the Angels, you received from God the power and command to crush the head of satan. Therefore, we humbly beg of you, send forth the legions of Heaven, that under your command they may seek out all evil spirits, engage them everywhere in battle, curb their pride, and hurl them back into the pit of hell. “Who is like unto God?”
Good and tender Mother, you shall ever be our hope and the object of our love. Mother of God, send forth the Holy Angels to defend us and drive far from us the cruel foe. Holy Angels and Archangels, defend and keep us. Amen
Saint John Neumann – Prayer for Purity
O Queen of those virgins who follow the Lamb, intercede for me also that I may remain pure, that I too may one day gaze upon your Divine Son. Saints of God have compassion on me, a poor sinner! Pray that God may keep me from sin, and the garment of innocence and purity may be ever mine.
The Serenity Prayer
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time,
enjoying one moment at a time;
accepting hardship as a pathway to peace,
taking as Jesus did this sinful world as it is,
not as I would have it, trusting that you will make
all things right if I surrender to your will;
so that I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with you in the next.
- Shift thoughts from addiction by using brief prayer (ex. “Mary conceived without sin pray for us who have recourse to thee”).
- Recite memorized Bible verses (utilize Pure Mind Scripture Memory cards).
- Participate in Friends of Saint John Neumann meeting as soon as possible and/or contact sponsor.
- Remind yourself that you are totally dependent upon God to maintain purity from pornography.
- Listen to good uplifting Traditional Catholic music ( ex. Clear Creek Abbey chant).